Question Detail: My ex-wife filed a Utah Chapter 13 bankruptcy prior to our divorce being granted. We didn’t resolve the community property, and now I want to short sale the property. She has refused to sign a quit claim deed, stating that she has protection from signing anything per her bankruptcy protection. Can I get the Trustee of her bankruptcy to allow the short sale? Or must I request through a court for her to quit claim the property.

Answer: Generally speaking, as part of bankruptcy proceedings, in order for a person to transfer any property the debtor needs to file a motion to sell or transfer property and have the bankruptcy judge approve it. – See more at:

Written By: Ryan Swapp     Legal Review By: Craig Swapp