You should speak with a Spokane truck accident wrongful death lawyer from Craig Swapp & Associates if your loved one died as the result of a truck crash. We understand that this is a traumatic time for you, and we can focus on protecting your legal rights while you focus on your family.

Do You Have a Case?

If your loved one died due to an 18-wheeler accident that was caused by the negligence of another person, business, or government entity, you could have a wrongful death case and be able to file a lawsuit to receive financial compensation.

RCW 4.20.010 states that there could be a legal action if the death is caused by another party’s neglect, default, or wrongful act. Simply put, if your loved one died because of something that someone else did or failed to do, you could file a lawsuit on the deceased’s behalf.

In the case of a trucking accident, if the wreck was the fault of the trucker or the trucking company, they would be responsible for your loved one’s death, allowing you to name them in the lawsuit.

Who Can File for Wrongful Death in Washington?

Only people with a specific relationship to the deceased may file a wrongful death lawsuit. According to RCW 4.20.020, the beneficiaries of a wrongful death action, may include the following individuals:

  • The spouse
  • A domestic partner that is registered with the state
  • Biological children or stepchildren

Additionally, the law allows for other beneficiaries to exist if the deceased did not have a spouse, domestic partner, or children.

However, for other relatives to file a claim, they must prove that they were financially dependent upon the deceased and that they were living in the United States at the time of the accident. For example, if a parent was receiving rent money from a child who was killed in a crash, the parent could file a wrongful death suit as long as he or she resided in the United States.

Compensation for Wrongful Death

A wrongful death case will always be an emotional affair. Families are understandably dealing with grief, and it is our job to handle the legal aspects of the case. Part of this process is placing an initial value on the claim.

When your loved one has died, you will have lost the benefit of his or her annual income and its ability to provide for your family. For this reason, you can request compensation that would be equal to the amount that would have been earned if the deceased had continued working until reaching retirement age.

You may also request compensation for any related medical bills, funeral expenses, pain and suffering, therapy, and other expenses related to the accident and death.

Get Help from a Washington Wrongful Death Lawyer

Dealing with the death of a loved one can be overwhelming on its own. Things can become unbearable when insurance and financial disputes become involved. For help with your case, contact Craig Swapp & Associates by calling 1-800-404-9000 or by completing the form below.