Being injured in a car crash, slip-and-fall, or any other type of accident can be devastating. Not knowing how to proceed or recover financially can make the process both confusing and overwhelming. To help you prepare, we’ve answered several Spokane personal injury frequently asked questions below.


Do I have grounds for a personal injury lawsuit?

If your injury was caused by the negligence of someone else, you can file a personal injury lawsuit seeking financial compensation for all of the damages, losses, and expenses you suffer as a result.


What if I was partially at fault for my accident?

You can still file a personal injury lawsuit if you are partially to blame as long as another party was more at fault than you. Your settlement amount might be reduced depending on how at fault you were, however.


What if my family member died in an accident?

If your spouse, child, or parent was killed in an accident, you can file a wrongful death lawsuit on behalf of their estate. This can be especially important if you were financially dependent on this person or wish to hold the guilty party accountable.


What is the Washington State statute of limitations for personal injury claims?

In Washington State, you only have three years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit. If you exceed this time limit because you were unaware of your injuries, call our office to find out if you can still sue.


What is a contingency fee?

Personal injury attorneys work on a contingency fee basis. This means that we provide our services without receiving any compensation unless you receive a settlement. If it does, we receive a percentage of the financial award agreed upon ahead of time.


What type of damages can I recover for a personal injury?

You could receive compensation for all of your current and future medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, rehabilitation expenses, and any other ways that your life and finances have been affected by your accident and injuries.


What are noneconomic damages?

Noneconomic damages are losses you experience that don’t have an obvious financial value. Pain and suffering, damage done to your marriage and personal relationships, and decreased enjoyment of life are all examples of these damages.


Should I just work with the insurance company?

This is not within your best interests because the insurance company will do whatever they can to pay you as little as possible. Without an attorney, you risk accepting an unfair settlement that will leave you paying out of pocket later.


Do I have to go to court for a personal injury claim?

Not necessarily. After hiring our law firm, we will build your case and negotiate with the other side in order to reach a fair settlement. If successful, you won’t need to go to court. Trial will only be necessary if they fail to take your claim seriously.


Get More Information from a Spokane Personal Injury Attorney

We hope this Spokane personal injury FAQ answered your questions. If not, call 1-800-404-9000 or complete the form below to speak with an attorney from Craig Swapp & Associates. We can protect your rights and work to get you as much money as possible for your injuries.