If you were injured in a construction accident, there’s little doubt that you now have a number of questions that you’d like to have answered. On this page, we’ve briefly addressed a number of Spokane construction accident frequently asked questions that we hear from clients on a regular basis.


Do I have to file a workers compensation claim for my construction accident?

You don’t have to, but it’s always a good idea to do so. If you were injured on the job, you should report the accident immediately and file a claim under your employer’s workers compensation policy. If your accident qualifies, you can still file a personal injury claim later.


What does workers compensation cover?

Workers compensation only covers your medical bills and a portion of your lost wages. This is as opposed to a personal injury lawsuit, which allows you to seek full compensation for all of your damages and losses.


When can I file a personal injury lawsuit against my employer?

You can only sue your employer if they either don’t have work comp insurance or purposefully exposed you to danger or harm. For example, if they failed to follow OSHA guidelines after being issued citations and fines, one could argue that they purposefully exposed you to harm.


Who can I seek compensation from after a construction accident?

That depends on what led to the accident. You can sue any negligent third parties. This might include the manufacturer of defective safety equipment and machinery, the manufacturer of toxic substances, and any at-fault third parties such as passersby and contractors.


How much money can I get for my jobsite injuries?

If your claim qualifies for compensation through a personal injury claim, you can seek compensation for any financial expense or non-economic loss that results from the accident.


Can I sue if I was partially to blame?

Yes, as long as the other party was more responsible for the accident than you were, you can seek a settlement. However, your own percentage of fault will reduce the settlement you receive by that same percentage.


Will my construction accident case have to go to court?

Court usually isn’t necessary. We will build a strong case and submit a demand letter to the other party. Negotiations will begin and your case might settle out of court. If they refuse to make a fair offer, going to court will then become your best option for receiving compensation.


Contact a Spokane Construction Injury Lawyer

When you’ve been hurt in a construction accident, it’s perfectly normal to have a number of questions and concerns that all need to be addressed. If you didn’t see your question answered above, Craig Swapp & Associates will be happy to provide you with information as it applies to your unique case.

To schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with an experienced attorney, give us a call at 1-800-404-9000 or complete the form below.