Cars are a primary mode of transportation in America. Despite how long they have been widely used, no one has been able to figure out how to eliminate something as common—and often dangerous—as a car accident.

If you or a loved one have suffered a car accident in Portland, know that you don’t have to deal with it alone. Craig Swapp & Associates have accrued glowing testimonials for their professional and compassionate handling of car accident cases. With one phone call, you can access the support you need to handle this difficult time.

I feel fine. Should I still seek medical care? 

Following an accident, the first and most important step is to seek medical attention. Regardless of whether or not you feel injured, it is vital to be seen by a medical professional. Some injuries may not be evident for days or even weeks following the accident.

Aside from ensuring that you are physically intact, it is important to seek medical help immediately so that you can have a record of the effects of your accident. This is valuable as a sort of receipt to present to the court.

Who’s at fault for a multi-car accident? 

When you’re involved in a multi-car pileup, it can be difficult to determine what driver or conditions caused the accident. Often, one driver’s mistake causes a series of crashes that may not be your fault. Talk to your lawyer about gathering evidence at the scene of the car accident to determine what caused the accident and who’s at fault. 

Am I always liable for a single-car accident? 

Sometimes, a serious single-car accident isn’t your fault. While you may be the only driver involved, outside factors may have caused your injuries. For example, you may have hit a pothole so deep that it damaged your car, forcing you off the road, or your brakes were defective and failed. Your lawyer can identify the party responsible for these factors. 

What evidence should I gather following a car accident?

It is important to have as much information recorded about the incident as possible so that you are able to provide your attorney with the full picture of the accident.

If you happen to notice something suspicious about the other driver or their vehicle, it would be a good idea to take a photo or note it down. For example, if you notice that the other driver has an open container of alcohol in their cupholder, making a note of it (either mentally to tell the authorities, or by photographing the container) would be a good idea.

Who is liable for car accidents in Oregon?

The fault is calculated by the drivers’ insurance companies, who use police reports and evidence (such as photos and eyewitness accounts). This is why it is absolutely vital to gather and organize as much evidence as possible, to ensure that fault is assigned fairly.

How long do I have to file a car accident claim? 

When you’re hurt in a car accident, it’s important to act as soon as possible. You only have two years to file your claim. If you don’t file on time, the court may dismiss your claim, leaving you without the funds you’re due. Your lawyer can help you act quickly when you’re hurt. 

I think I may be partly at fault for my accident. What can I do? 

Oregon is classified as a modified comparative negligence state. This means that the plaintiff can collect compensation as long as the court judges that the accident was less than 50 percent of their fault.

For example, if the plaintiff is found to be 15 percent responsible for an accident, and the other driver is found to be 85 percent responsible, the other driver must pay the plaintiff up to 85 percent of the damages. 

Seek Out a Reliable Car Accident Lawyer in Portland

Being in a car accident is an incredibly stressful event. Aside from the experience itself, you are left to deal with the ripple effects, such as missing work or school due to injury, needing to take time off to recover, and having to find alternate modes of transportation if your vehicle has sustained damage that needs to be repaired.

However, there is no need to handle it all by yourself. The attorneys at Craig Swapp and Associates are experienced, compassionate, and ready to take your case, with the ultimate goal of getting you the maximum compensation you deserve, with the least amount of stress possible.

If you or a loved one have suffered a car accident in Portland, don’t hesitate to contact Craig Swapp & Associates for a free consultation at 1-800-404-9000one call, that’s all!

To Donate a Backpack: Bring a new or used backpack to the event on July 29th between 11 AM – 1 PM