When people invite you onto their property, they might also tell you to be careful of a certain area or ask you to avoid specific places that may not be safe. At the same time, they might not be aware that there is a safety issue at all or aren’t aware that you are going into an unsafe area. In any case, property owners have an obligation to maintain their property in such a way as to keep it safe for anyone on the premises. Commercial property is treated in much the same way, with some limits specific to Idaho laws. If you do get hurt on someone else’s property, you will need an experienced Boise premises liability attorney to help you sort out the expenses and damages and make sure the right person is held responsible.

Injuries on Commercial Property

In an effort to promote awareness and engagement of the public with the outdoors, Idaho has put a specific law in place to protect landowners. This Idaho law relieves them of any kind of liability even if they are aware of a dangerous area, but only under certain circumstances. For example, a private land owner opens up property to the public and does not charge a fee to the public for using that land to walk, explore, and engage in an activity on that land. In many cases, the landowner will not be liable for any injuries that may occur. The landowner doesn’t even have to post a warning sign. However, if there is a fee for entering the property, this particular law may not apply. Further, there may be time limits or a statute of limitations determining whether or not you have a claim. Whether you are injured on private or public property, our lawyers can help you figure out if the owner is liable and how to proceed.

Common Risks of Injury

There are some common risks associated with private property. Not everyone can afford to maintain their property as they would like to, and some people simply don’t do it whether they can afford it or not. This lack of maintenance can cause serious injuries. One of the most common accidents is a slip-and-fall accident. This can be caused by uneven ground, ice on the ground, or even mildew that makes stairs and porches slick and dangerous to walk on. For the most part, property owners are responsible for ensuring their property is as safe as possible for visitors and people who happen to be on the property.

What to Do After an Accident

One of the most important steps to take after an accident on someone else’s property is documenting the incident and the area as much as possible. In the eyes of the law, if it isn’t documented, it may not have happened. If you fall through your friend’s front porch, you should take a picture of the porch and make sure your phone or camera includes a time and day stamp on the image. Keep these records. Visit a medical professional and follow all instructions. Because these types of accidents can happen when we are least expecting them, you might not get a chance to take all of these steps. Our lawyers can help you figure out how to gather the evidence you need for the case.

Do I Need an Attorney for a Premises Liability Case?

As with most cases involving liability, the property’s owners aren’t going to be excited about accepting blame for your injuries. Yes, it is possible to manage cases like these without an attorney, but you may be putting yourself at a disadvantage. Premises liability cases often require dealing with the property owner’s insurance company rather than the home or property owner directly. They might present you with an offer that seems sufficient to you, but may not be enough to cover your damages in the long run. In order to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve, you will need a Boise premises liability attorney on your side. At Craig Swapp & Associates, we are familiar with navigating premises liability cases and can make sure your accident and injuries receive appropriate care and attention.

If you have been injured on someone else’s property because of the owner’s negligence, you can’t afford to attempt to navigate the process alone. Contact our office online or call 1-800-404-9000 for a free consultation.