Spokane Boat Accident Lawyer
Don’t allow a boating crash to destroy your health and finances. Find out how much your case is worth by consulting with a Spokane boat accident lawyer.
If you were injured while boating on the Spokane River, Lake Coeur d’Alene, or some other body of water, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Any time you are hurt in a watercraft accident caused by someone else, you can hire a Spokane boat accident lawyer from Craig Swapp & Associates to file a personal injury lawsuit on your behalf.
Common Causes of Boating Accidents
Over 4,000 boating accident were reported in 2015. This figure is based on Coast Guard data, but many accidents are never reported and are instead handled privately. This is especially true of lake boating accidents, but this is always an unwise course of action and many of these claims will be settled for less than they should have been.
Every Spokane boat accident lawyer at our firm has dealt with a wide variety of watercraft accidents. Some common causes of boat accidents are listed below:
- Drunk Boating – Driving while intoxicated is just as dangerous on water as it is on a road or highway. Boaters will often drink during the day, but when alcohol combines with the hot sun, it can make for a hazardous combination. Drunken boating can lead to people being tossed overboard and even to death by drowning.
- Reckless Boating – Boaters must obey local speed limits, and failure to do so can lead to an accident.
- Unsafe Conditions – It is critical to pay attention to both the weather and water conditions. For example, rafting after heavy rains can be dangerous given how high the water and rapids can become.
- Inexperienced Boat Operation – When boaters are not experienced, do not have an understanding of how to operate their watercraft safely, or take uneducated risks, it can lead to accidents.
- Manufacturer Error – If something went wrong with the actual boat, it could be due to manufacturer error. When this happens, the manufacturer could be responsible for your injuries.
Types of Boating Injuries
The severity of boating injuries is typically dictated by the type of accident and what happened during it. For example, someone thrown from a boat is at risk for a head injury, broken bones, and even drowning. Those tossed around inside of a watercraft are more likely to suffer injuries caused by directly hitting the interior of the boat.
Common injuries are as follows:
- Concussions and other traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Whiplash and spinal injuries
- Cuts and lacerations
- Internal bleeding and organ damage
Any time your injury warrants seeking medical care, you could have grounds for a personal injury lawsuit and should speak with a Spokane boat accident lawyer from our firm.
Determining Blame for a Watercraft Crash
Your Spokane boat accident lawyer will investigate your case to determine who was responsible for the actual accident. This will often be the driver of the boat you were in. However, another boater could also have caused the crash, or even the boat’s manufacturer could be to blame.
In some boating accidents, another passenger may cause the wreck by grabbing the wheel or doing something else to jeopardize your safety. Our goal is to gather enough evidence to prove negligence so that you can receive financial compensation for your injuries and suffering.
Valuing Your Boat Accident Claim
Determining what your injury claim is worth requires looking at your life holistically. How has your injury impacted you physically, mentally, emotionally, and financially? While most people seek compensation for medical bills, you may be entitled to much, much more:
- Rehabilitation expenses as you recover
- Counseling to address anxiety or fear caused by the wreck
- Long-term medical bills
- Wages you have lost due to being out of work
- Transportation expenses
- And more
When you speak with a Spokane boat accident lawyer from our office, let us know about any expenses you have incurred or money you have lost due to the accident and your injuries.
Settling vs. Going to Court
We are experienced trial lawyers that can advocate for your rights in court. However, just because you hire a Spokane boat accident lawyer, it does not mean that your case will end up in court.
Most of our cases actually settle outside of court through the negotiations process. This is done by gathering evidence that proves fault, determining the value of your claim, and issuing a demand letter. When the other party is willing to negotiate, we can often reach favorable settlement terms. In the event that court does become necessary, we will represent and advise you throughout the process.
Contact a Spokane Boating Accident Lawyer
Boating accidents can be devastating, and you deserve to be compensated for your injuries. Your Spokane boat accident lawyer can help you receive the money you need and deserve. Find out how much your injury claim is worth by calling 1-800-404-9000 and scheduling a free case evaluation with Craig Swapp & Associates. You can also reach us by using the contact form below.