Spokane Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
It’s no secret that a motorcycle crash can lead to horrific injuries to the rider and catastrophic damage to the bike involved. What many bikers don’t realize is that even if they weren’t to blame for the wreck, opposing attorneys will often try to place the fault on them by taking advantage of unfair stereotypes that portray motorcycle riders as reckless and dangerous drivers.
A Spokane motorcycle accident lawyer from Craig Swapp & Associates can prevent this from happening. By building a case that clearly demonstrates how the other party was at fault, we can help you receive the financial compensation you need to move on from your injuries and damages.
Who Caused Your Motorcycle Crash?
In order to successfully seek compensation through a personal injury lawsuit, your Spokane motorcycle accident lawyer will need to investigate your crash and identify all of the parties that were at fault. Negligence is almost always the root cause of motor vehicle accidents, and motorcycle crashes are no different:
- Distracted Driving – Large numbers of motorcycle accidents are caused by drivers of cars and trucks failing to see the biker. While in part due to the smaller profile of motorcycles, many drivers are simply focusing on things other than the road—cell phones, food, or the radio, for example.
- Drunk Driving – The victims hit by drunk drivers are often hurt worse than the drunk driver. This is taken to extremes when a motorcyclist is the victim.
- Defective Motorcycle Parts – Whether a faulty tire blows out or an engine part fails, a defective part can end a motorcycle ride in disaster. A Spokane motorcycle accident lawyer can determine where the fault belongs in the production chain.
- Dangerous Roads – A pothole that would be a minor inconvenience to a car could cause a motorcycle to go off balance and crash. Your Spokane motorcycle accident lawyer will help you demonstrate how poor road maintenance led to your crash.
- Open-Door Crashes – A surprising number of motorcycle accidents are caused by people opening the door of their parked car into the way of an oncoming motorcycle.
It’s entirely possible for more than one of these elements to have played a role in your wreck. For example, a drunk driver might force you to swerve out of your lane and into an improperly made shoulder drop-off, thereby causing you to crash. Identifying all of the elements of your crash is essential, and a Spokane motorcycle accident lawyer from our office will do precisely that.
Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Unfortunately, the design elements that make motorcycles so enjoyable to ride also expose riders to horrible injuries in the event of a crash. Anytime a motorcycle is hit by a passenger or commercial vehicle, the biker is almost always at higher risk of serious bodily harm.
These are just a few of the injuries that a Spokane motorcycle accident lawyer from our firm will know how to help you pursue financial compensation for:
- Head injuries, including concussions and other traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Spine and back injuries
- Amputation and limb loss
- Broken bones
- Internal bleeding and organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Emotional trauma
Even if you initially think you escaped the crash without injury, you should still see your physician for a full medical evaluation. Sometimes shock prevents you from feeling the pain of your injuries. Other times injuries simply don’t manifest symptoms right away—such is often the case with brain injuries.
Wrongful Death in Washington Motorcycle Wrecks
Unfortunately, it’s not at all uncommon for a motorcycle accident to end in wrongful death. Whether the victim died immediately on impact or passed away after being taken to the emergency room, you can seek compensation for the death of your family member if you are a spouse, domestic partner, child, or stepchild of the deceased.
In the absence of these relations, you can file suit if you are a sibling or parent. Speak with a Spokane motorcycle accident lawyer from our office to learn more about what options may be available for seeking justice for your loved one.
Monetary Compensation for Your Crash Injuries
When you’ve been injured because someone else was negligent or made a judgment error, the last thing you need is to deal with insurance hassles and legal challenges. And that doesn’t even take into account the bills you’ll be receiving for medical care, property damage, and other losses:
- You may lose income if you have to take time off from work to recover.
- Any medical expenses—current and future—related to the crash should be covered in full.
- You will almost certainly have to contend with expensive repair bills for your bike.
- Therapy may be required to overcome emotional distress caused by the wreck.
- Any pain and suffering you experience should be accounted for in the settlement.
You should be able to expect compensation from the at-fault driver, entity, or their insurance company for all of the financial and noneconomic damages that come about thanks to the crash. Sadly, this rarely happens without some sort of challenge.
Your Spokane motorcycle accident lawyer will negotiate with the other side on your behalf. If they won’t settle, we’ll represent you in court to obtain a legally binding judgment. Either way, we’ll advise you throughout what happens.
Spokane Motorcycle Accident FAQ
You probably have a number of questions related to your motorcycle accident. Here, we’ve answered a few of the most common. For more information, please schedule an appointment with a Spokane motorcycle accident lawyer from our firm.
Am I at fault if I wasn’t wearing a helmet during my motorcycle accident?
Washington observes contributory fault, which mean that if your head or brain were injured in the motorcycle crash, you will likely be assigned part of the blame for failing to adequately protect yourself. However, if the other driver was more at fault overall, you can still sue for damages.
Who is at fault if my motorcycle accident was caused by a dangerous road?
State and municipal government agencies are normally responsible for keeping roads maintained to safe standards. Sometimes this work is contracted out to private companies, but either way, you can hold them responsible by filing a personal injury lawsuit seeking financial compensation from them.
Why do I need a lawyer if I’ve been in a motorcycle wreck?
A personal injury attorney can help you by making certain all at-fault parties have been identified, accurately assessing the total value of your claim, negotiating with insurance companies and other attorneys on your behalf, and representing you in court during trial.
Work with a Spokane Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
A motorcycle accident can completely change your life in the span of a single heartbeat. When the fault lies with someone else, it shouldn’t be you paying for the resulting damages and suffering in silence. At Craig Swapp & Associates, we know the nuances of motorcycle accident law and have helped crash victims just like you achieve the financial awards they deserve.
To arrange a free consultation with a Spokane motorcycle accident lawyer who will be fully dedicated to your case, simply call us at 1-800-404-9000. You can also reach us by activating the LiveChat feature on this page or by completing the contact form at the bottom.