Draper Personal Injury Lawyer
You have a right to compensation when someone else’s negligence leaves you injured, and a Draper injury attorney can help you get it.
While personal injury lawsuits may be a buzzword nowadays, seeking compensation for a serious injury is no easy task. If you’ve been involved in an accident and left with piles of medical bills, winning a personal injury case can help you pay for your doctor’s visits and much more, including any incidental costs, such as lost income.
Regardless of the cause, personal injuries are responsible for trillions of dollars in economic losses every year. Much of the time, any settlement offered by the responsible party—either directly or through an insurance company—will be tragically insufficient.
The assistance of an experienced Draper personal injury lawyer from Craig Swapp & Associates can be the difference between getting nothing and securing your future financial wellbeing.
What Qualifies as a Personal Injury Case?
While there are many types of personal injury cases, it’s important to highlight what makes a personal injury claim valid.
The following criteria must be proven for you to have grounds for a case:
- The responsible party “acted unreasonably.” Depending on the circumstances, this could mean that your employer failed to prevent an accident due to gross negligence, or that another driver hit you while he or she was texting.
- The responsible party “breached their duty.” Again, this is based on the relationship between the two parties, and whether the responsible party didn’t hold up their explicit—or implicit—side of the bargain.
- The responsible party’s breach of their duty “caused you harm.” Harm, broadly defined, can include physical and psychological suffering, along with harm to one’s reputation. In other words, the harm doesn’t necessarily have to be physical.
- The responsible party’s actions caused you monetary damage (i.e., you had to pay out money to recover from your injuries).
The accident types that a Draper personal injury lawyer from our firm can help you with are wide-ranging. It’s worth noting that a responsible party can include an employer, business, government agency, or private citizen.
If nothing else, it’s important to remember that the party you’re seeking compensation from must be at fault, and that you must be seeking damages for injuries done to your wellbeing, whether that takes the form of emotional trauma or physical wounds.
Damages for a Catastrophic Injury
While it sounds simple, it’s imperative to declare appropriate damages in a personal injury suit.
The standard forms of damages, termed “compensatory damages,” are intended to restore the plaintiff’s livelihood to its previous state.
These include costs incurred due to any of the following:
- Medical treatment
- Loss of income
- Property loss
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment
- Loss of consortium (lost companionship and sexual function)
If a case is particularly egregious, additional compensation may be awarded in the form of punitive damages. These damages, which are generally substantial, are often meant to send a statement to the defendant.
Call a Draper Injury Attorney
If you’ve suffered a serious injury, it’s important to work with a capable law firm to either win in court or settle beforehand. At Craig Swapp & Associates, you can rest assured that you’ll be working with an experienced attorney who knows how to maximize your compensation.
We provide free consultations, and serve both Spanish- and English-speaking clients. To get one step closer to recovering the compensation you deserve, call 1-800-400-9000 today or simply complete the form on this page.