We previously reported about Toyota’s vehicle recall for accelerator issues and now the company has just issued several guidelines to be aware of in case you have a problem with one of these vehicles. Please familiarize yourself with these suggestions, especially if you drive one of the vehicles listed in the recall. Some experts are suggesting it’s not the pedal but something in the computer causing the issue.
• If you need to stop immediately, the vehicle can be controlled by stepping on the brake pedal with both feet using firm and steady pressure. Do not pump the brake pedal as it will deplete the vacuum utilized for the power brake assist.
• Shift the transmission gear selector to the Neutral (N) position and use the brakes to make a controlled stop at the side of the road and turn off the engine.
• If unable to put the vehicle in Neutral, turn the engine OFF. This will not cause loss of steering or braking control, but the power assist to these systems will be lost.
• If the vehicle is equipped with an Engine Start/Stop button, firmly and steadily push the button for at least three seconds to turn off the engine. Do NOT tap the Engine Start/Stop button.
• If the vehicle is equipped with a conventional key-ignition, turn the ignition key to the ACC position to turn off the engine. Do NOT remove the key from the ignition as this will lock the steering wheel.
If you are involved in an accident and need a Spokane, Washington auto accident attorney, contact us immediately for a free evaluation of your case. (Gregory & Swapp is licensed in most Western States.) – See more at: http://craigswapp.com/blog/auto-accidents/toyota-issues-faq-to-prevent-accelerator-related-auto-accidents#sthash.8esCpz0G.dpuf