Spokane Car Accident Back Injury Lawyer
Suffering an injury from a car accident can have devastating effects for everyone involved. Many injuries are temporary—only requiring short-term care and treatment. Other injuries, however, can be more severe, causing chronic pain and requiring extended medical care.
One of the most common serious injuries that occur in Spokane car accidents are back injuries. These can range from soft-tissue whiplash injuries to spine fractures to spinal cord injuries that result in permanent disability and paralysis.
Medical expenses for spine injuries and paralysis are not only expensive, but also distressing. Adjusting to a life with staggering medical costs, rehabilitation therapy, and physical disability can be overwhelming. To cover these costs, a Spokane car accident back injury lawyer from Craig Swapp & Associates can take care of the legal issues and help you recover compensation for what you’ve suffered due to the negligence of another.
A Back Injury Can Be Serious
The back, with its amazing but complex spinal structure, is strong yet delicate. Strong in the sense of supporting the human body, yet delicate due to its sensitivity to pressure and injury.
According to the Mayo Clinic, 35 percent of all new spinal injuries are directly related to car and motorcycles accidents—the leading causes of back injuries and paralysis each year. While car accidents cannot be predicted, knowing how to recognize a back injury can help you understand and recognize your symptoms after your wreck.
Types of Back Injuries Suffered in Car Accidents
Because the spine is not built to tolerate the impact of a car accident, neck and back injuries are common in car accidents. The impact can strain and sprain the muscles of the back with the vertebrae bearing much of the force. This can result in several injuries:
- Whiplash – One of the more common injuries in rear-end accidents, whiplash occurs when the head is forced back and forth in a whipping motion due to the impact.
- Herniated Discs – The discs of the spine absorb the majority of the impact in a crash, causing the soft center to push through small cracks in the tougher exterior. This can cause irritation to the nerves.
- Compression Fractures – Spinal fractures are common in the middle and lower back. At the time of impact, the lower back is held in place with a seat belt while the upper back thrusts forward, which combines to cause the vertebrae to pull apart.
- Spondylolisthesis – Due to a stress fracture in the bone, vertebrae can shift out of place, and the bones may press on the nerves and cause pain, numbness, or weakness in the legs. This condition can result in difficulty walking.
- Paralysis – Paralysis is one of the most serious and debilitating of back and spine injuries. Lifelong treatment and care is most often needed, and complications can occur over time, causing infections and even death.
Car Accident Back Injuries Should Be Compensated
A Spokane car accident leading to injury or trauma can happen to anyone. However, when the injury is caused by the negligence of another, you are entitled to compensation for damages incurred.
Damages can include medical expenses, loss of wages and future income, pain and suffering, mental anguish, and wrongful death. Damages for loss of companionship, also known as loss of consortium, may also be recovered for spouses due to what they experience in these situations.
How Can a Spokane Car Accident Lawyer Help Me?
Hiring a skilled Spokane car accident back injury lawyer with a history of success in handling complex personal injury claims is necessary for recovering the compensation you deserve. A back injury can require long-term treatment and may result in loss of wages and significant medical expenses.
The Spokane car accident back injury lawyers of Craig Swapp & Associates are dedicated to aggressively pursuing your back injury claim and fighting for your legal right to recover the maximum compensation possible. Call us today at 1-800-404-9000 for your free personal consultation. You can also submit the form below to have someone from our office contact you at your leisure.