After being hurt in a hit-and-run accident, you may not realize that you have compensation options available to you. It is important to take the steps necessary to protect yourself legally and financially, which requires hiring a Boise hit-and-run car accident lawyer from Craig Swapp & Associates to represent you.


First Call the Police

The first thing you need to do after your hit-and-run is call the police. Hopefully you have already done so and filed a police report. If not, you still have time but need to do so immediately.

The officer who comes to the scene can document both what happened and any details you remember about the vehicle you were struck by. This will make it more likely that they will find the fleeing driver.


The Other Driver Broke the Law

If the other driver took off after the accident, he or she violated state law. In Idaho, it is a misdemeanor to be in a car crash and not stop to exchange information and comply with law enforcement. This means that the police should also be looking for the driver, and if a conviction for a hit-and-run eventually happens, the driver could lose his or her drivers license for a year in addition to other penalties.

This does not mean that you will automatically receive compensation, however. After a conviction, the other driver will be facing criminal penalties. To receive compensation for your injuries, you have to file a personal injury lawsuit.


You Can Sue the Hit-and-Run Driver

If the other driver is identified, it will be possible to file a lawsuit seeking damages. If you have the vehicle’s license plate number, this is typically enough to get started. Anything that can make it easier to find the other driver will only help your case.

It will be necessary to prove what happened and to demonstrate that the hit-and-run driver was negligent in both causing the actual accident and leaving the scene. This requires gathering evidence, something that we can assist you with.


What If the Hit-and-Run Driver Isn’t Found?

Many accident victims call our office wanting to know what their options are if the other driver is never found. Unfortunately, at this point the options are limited. The best way to receive compensation will be to file an uninsured driver claim with your own insurance company.

Most policies cover damages caused by a hit-and-run. In this case, you may still need an attorney to help you prove that you were not at fault for the accident and to ensure that you receive as much money as possible to pay for your expenses and financial losses.

The insurance company may, for example, either not want to pay for all your medical care or refuse to compensate your lost wages. In this case, you will need a Boise hit-and-run accident lawyer to negotiate on your behalf and ensure that you are treated fairly.


Help from a Boise Hit-and-Run Accident Attorney

To speak with an attorney about your legal options for seeking compensation after a hit-and-run, contact Craig Swapp & Associates. These cases are complicated, so it is important to begin work on your claim as quickly as possible.

You can schedule a free consultation with an experienced injury attorney by calling 1-800-404-9000 or by completing the form at the bottom of this page.